Do you want to perform Itikāf in Ramadan Kareem? If yes! Then do the Niyyah in your heart to perform i’tikaf and get your vow with God done. Don’t know about it? Want to learn about I’tikaf? Let’s have a detailed look to understand the significance of i’tikaf in the month of Ramadan. There are rules for females and males. Check registration for i’tikaf in Madinah that is given below.
What is Itikaf in 2021?
The word i’tikaf belongs to Arabic origin which means to isolate oneself or adhere to something. In Ramadan Kareem, many Muslims perform I’tikaf by spending the last 10 fast’s days and nights in mosques by isolating themselves from people and the matters of the world while sticking to Ibadah.
Itikaf is a way to cure the wounds of the soul. Allah has blessed us with the month of Ramadan and then in Ramadan, he bestowed us with Itikaf for our spiritual retreat. Whenever Ramadan is mentioned anywhere, the discussion will never be completed without pointing the holy ritual i’tikaf out.
It is performed in the last 10 days of Ramadan which are dedicated to the freedom from hellfire as well as the night of Qadar is also present in these days. Laylat ul qadar is the night on which God had sent down the Quran-e-Hakeem from heavens to our Prophet (PBUH). The night which is better than 1000 other nights.
So, doing i’tikaf in the last Ashra of Ramadan will definitely bring closeness in your relationship with God. Hazrat Ayesha R.A narrated:
“The Prophet (SAW) used to practice Itikaf in the last ten days of Ramadan till he died and then his wives used to practice Itikaf after him.” (Bukhari)
The thawab of performing i’tikaf is also boundless. As it is narrated that Nabi (SAW) said:
“He who observes the ten days Itikaf during Ramadan will obtain the reward of two Hajj and two Umrah.” (Bayhaqi)
So are you ready to avail the cost-free option to earn the thawab of Hajj and Umrah?
Types of Itikaf
There are three types of I’tikaf according to Islam.
- Sunnah Itikaf
The Sunnah Itikaf is performed in the last ten days of Ramadan to follow the actions of our Prophet (PBUH)
2. Nafl Itikaf
The Nafl I’tikaf can be performed on any day or night of the year depending upon the will of the performer.
3. Wajib Itikaf
The Wajib Itikaf is compulsory to perform. The I’tikaf became wajib when you make a niyyah or vow to God to offer i’tikaf based on a condition.
Itikaf Rules for Female and Male 2021
There are some specific rules that one should follow to perform Itikaf.
- The first and foremost rule or condition to perform this holy ritual is that the person should be a Muslim.
- The person should be in a good state of mind to do reasonable thoughts and make decisions. To go in detail, the person should not be under the influence of any type of drug that may affect the mental state. The person with a mental illness should not perform I’tikaf as he would be able to make clear decisions on his own.
- The 3rd and most important Itikaf rule is to make an intention for Itikaff. The intention should depict that you are going to perform it for the sake of God and to spend time in pleasing Him by doing Ibadah.
- Women should take permission from their father or husband if married to offer Itikaf.
- The person should keep her body neat and clean to fulfil the condition of Tahara.
- The person should preserve the state of wudu to follow the I’tikaf,
- The person should spend his time in offering prayers, recitation of the Quran, doing Nafal Ibadah, and making dua with dhikr.
- Fasting is also required during i’tikaf days as God has stated Itikaf in the Quran in relation to the fasting of Ramadan.
- Men should offer i’tikaf in the masjid.
Itikaf for Females
Women are also allowed to perform i’tikaf in their homes. However married women need the permission of their husbands before starting Itikaf. She should pick a proper place in her home and make it separate where other people can’t come.
Females should take care of their menstrual days because if she gets her menstrual days during i’tikaf then her i’tikaf we be no more valid and she has to offer the Qaeda for it.
When she became clean she should do one-day i’tikaf from sunset to the next sunset.
- Offering Itikaf has numerous benefits.
- A person takes oneself away from this materialistic world and its
- He/she gets time to develop a pure connection with God.
- Time for one’s self-reflection.
- A way to say thanks to Allah for His blessings.
- More time to understand and reciting the Quran.
- The best time to train oneself according to the teachings of Islam and the Quran.
- Bundles of Virtues.
- By refraining from idle talk and gossip it becomes a chance to earn more thawab.
- The purification of the heart and soul is also attained from Itikaf.
- Man becomes less interested in the materialistic world.
Do’s of Itikaf
- Offering prayers regularly
- Offering the special Namaz-e-Taraweeh to make your fasting more productive because the Quran is recited during this prayer.
- Stay in the mosque.
- Stay away from people.
- Avoid useless talks and do only worldly talks that are necessary.
- Spend time in doing zikr, prayers, nafal ibadah and recitation of Quran.
Don’ts of Itikaf
- Don’t leave the mosque.
- False intention (Niyyah) as if you are offering i’tikaf just to impress your family and friends.
- Building Sexual relationship is not allowed during i’tikaf.
- Avoid unnecessary arguing and useless talks.
- Avoid all the major and minor sins during the i’tikaf period.
Itikaf Registration in Madinah
What more blessed way could there be to spend your month of Ramadan, if not, the last ten days of Ramadan in the city of the Prophet SAWW in Madinah? Absolutely nothing is comparable! Since every Muslim wants to spend this blessed month in Madinah, bookings for i’tikaf start taking place very early and the closer this month gets, the harder it is to get a spot.
Those who are interested, know that registration will be started this year after 25th Sha’aban until 10th of Ramadan. This is specifically for Madinah as in Makkah, there’s no need to register, you can go directly and find yourself a suitable spot.
One other benefit, apart from the biggest one, is that you don’t have to pay for a hotel or rent a place to stay as you did throughout the whole year if you went for Umrah/ Hajj. You only have to pay for your luggage which is quite less (150-200 Saudi royals) and enjoy your stay doing what you went there for a.k.an Ibadah and worship of Allah SWT alone.
This is the best way to get closer to Allah SWT and to observe the vastness and the number of Muslims, Allah’s mercy on them and the strength of Muslim Ummah during your stay. It just gives you another type of rising in your faith and makes you grateful even more than ever.
You have to register through renowned pages and authentic sources beforehand, though. If you want, you can contact [email protected] for any query and further details on itekaf registration in Madinah.